WASHINGTON STATE NEED GRANT
The State Need Grant (SNG) program helps the state’s lowest-income undergraduate students pursue degrees, hone skills, or retrain for new careers. Students can use the grants at eligible institutions in Washington.
Students eligible for SNG must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Washington State resident.
- Have a family income at or below the amounts specified in the following chart:
State Need Grant Family Income Eligibility Chart 2018-19*
*Adusted Gross Income (AGI) + Nontaxable Income
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Attend classes at one of the eligible institutions in Washington.
- Enroll in an eligible program with a minimum of three credits as an undergraduate student.
- Pursue a first bachelor’s degree, a certificate, or a first associate degree in any field of study excluding theology.
- Make satisfactory academic progress.
- Not exceed five years of SNG term usage or 125% of enrolled program length.
- Not owe a repayment to another student aid program.
How to Apply
The application process for the State Need Grant is simple. All you need to do is complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid, commonly known as the FAFSA. To apply online or review your status go to www.fafsa.gov.
If you are not eligible to complete the FAFSA due to your immigration status, you still may be eligible to apply for the State Need Grant by completing the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA). For more information go to www.readysetgrad.org/wasfa.
State Need Grant amounts vary by the type of school you attend. The chart below shows the maximum you may be eligible to receive if enrolled full time.
Maximum SNG Award Amounts 2018-19*
|Public Research||University of Washington||$9,745|
|Washington State University||$9,734|
|Public Comprehensive||Central Washington University||$6,560|
|Eastern Washington University||$6,213|
|The Evergreen State College||$6,540|
|Western Washington University||$6,771|
|Private Four-Year||Independent/Private Four-Year Nonprofit Universities and Colleges||$9,739|
|Independent/Private Four-Year For-Profit Universities and Colleges||$8,517|
|Community and Technical Colleges (CTC)||Community and Technical Colleges||$3,694|
|CTC Applied Baccalaureate Programs||$6,213|
|Private Two-Year||Private Two-Year Nonprofit Colleges||$3,694|
|Private Two-Year For-Profit Colleges||$2,823|
|Dependent Care Allowance||$936|
* Actual SNG award amounts may vary due to individual campus awarding policies and available funds.
Have more questions? The State Need Grant program staff at the Washington Student Achievement Council will be happy to help!
Phone: 1-888-535-0747, option 3