The Washington Application for State Financial Aid or WASFA is a free application for state financial aid for students who are not eligible for federal aid because of immigration status, including undocumented students. After you complete the WASFA, the college(s) you choose will use your information to determine your state financial aid eligibility. State financial aid could include Washington College Grant (formerly the State Need Grant), the College Bound Scholarship, or State Work Study.
The following questions will ensure the WASFA is the correct application for you.
- U.S. permanent resident with a Permanent Resident Card (also known as "Green Card").
- Conditional permanent resident (Form I-551C).
- Other eligible non-citizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: "Refugee," "Asylum Granted," "Parolee," or "Cuban-Haitian Entrant."
- A citizen of the Republic of Palau (PW), the Republic of the Marshall Islands (MH), or the Federated States of Micronesia (FM).
- U.S. national (including natives of American Samoa or Swains Island).
- A T-Visa holder.
- Graduated from a Washington high school with a diploma, earned a GED, or earned a diploma equivalent. High school graduates must have finished their full senior year at a Washington high school.
- Lived in Washington for at least three consecutive years (36 consecutive months) immediately before the date you earned a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- Continuously lived in Washington after the date you earned a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent.
Based on your responses, you are eligible to file the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA). Please click the button below to begin your application.
Note: You will be redirected from ReadySetGrad to our partnered website, Regent to complete your application. For more information, and to make future updates to your application, please visit: www.readysetgrad.org/wasfa.
Based on your responses, you are eligible to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please click the link below to continue to the FAFSA website.
Note: You will be redirected from ReadySetGrad to the federal FAFSA website to complete your application. For more information, and to make future updates to your application, please visit: fafsa.ed.gov.
Although I am eligible to apply for federal and state aid using the FAFSA, I am electing to complete the WASFA. I understand that by completing the WASFA, I will be considered only for state aid.
Based on your responses, we are not able to determine your eligibility for state financial aid. After completing the WASFA, we recommend contacting the financial aid office at your college to see if you qualify for state aid and to inquire about additional financial aid resources. We encourage you to create a profile on our scholarship-matching website, www.thewashboard.org. Doing so will enable you to view and apply for scholarships that you may be eligible for.
Provided your application was successfully processed by the US Department of Education, you have already applied for financial aid by completing the FAFSA; you do not need to complete a WASFA unless you are instructed to do so by a college financial aid office. The college(s) you listed on your FAFSA will determine your eligibility for state financial aid. If you have questions, contact the financial aid office at your school to inquire about the status of your application.
We encourage you to create a profile on our scholarship-matching website, www.thewashboard.org. Doing so will enable you to view and apply for scholarships that you may be eligible for.